Monday, July 25, 2011

Miss Nice Girl is gone, and she's moving to New York.

That's right, people. Nice Myra is GONE.

Of course, that doesn't mean I have totally gone off the deep end and am going to go all Incredible Hulk on everyone and be a total jerk.

HOWEVER.

I am sick and tired of people walking all over me. I feel like this is how people think of me subconsciously.

"Myra? Oh yeah, I know her. She's pretty much a pushover. Friends use her. Boys use her. Sometimes I am in total doubt of the existence of her spine. Yea. I'm pretty positive it doesn't exist."

Some of you might be wondering where the heck all of this is coming from. Solely because of the fact that I give a pretty darn good impression of being able to take care of myself. No one messes with me without me messing back- at least on the surface. But recently it's just like I let people say or do whatever they want to me, and I do nothing about it. So I just want to say, those days are OVER.

From now on, if you lie to me, you'll PAY for it. If you hurt me OR any of my friends, I WILL have something to say about it. And by far the most important....if I find out you're using me? I will no longer just let you off with a little slap on the wrist. I'm so SICK of people thinking they can get away with this kind of crap.

That being said, I won't mention it again. Because I don't think I'll need to. One time saying it should be enough.

Moving on.

I have recently made a major life decision, and I've only shared it with a few people. However, I think it's about time I let people know. It's something I've thought about for a long time, and I think it's the right thing for me.

As some of you know, something that is a vital part of my life, and something that is very important to me is music. Guitar, piano, violin, trumpet- I love it all. BUT, the thing that is the most important to me is singing. Whenever I'm sad or angry of really happy, I love to sing about it. My shower head has been impressed for years by my renditions of various Broadway show tunes. When I was little, it was my dream to be a Broadway star. Fanny from Funny Girl, Elphaba from Wicked, Christine from Phantom of the Opera....that was me. However, as I got older, certain people told me I was not talented enough to be a performer. After so long of people telling you there's no way a country girl from Alabama is going to be a big star, you start to believe it.

But in the last few months, I've thought about it some more. And you know what?

I literally could not care less what those people say.

What right do they have to tear down my dreams? NONE. And besides, who says I'm not destined for the stage? I've always been the dramatic type anyway. And it's not like it's all I want to do. I DO want to be a teacher. That's why I'm going to college for Literature. So it's not as if I get booed offstage, I'm not going to have anything to fall back on. But I want to try. Because if I didn't, I would wonder my whole life what could have been if I had given it a little effort.

SO. All this has led up to my decision to move to New York after I graduate college. I had always planned on staying in Alabama, but I have now come to the realization that if I spend the rest of my life here, my head will probably explode. I love Alabama. But only for short periods of time. I've spent the last eighteen years of my life here, and to me, almost two decades in the same place is quite long enough, thank you. So as soon as I toss that graduation cap up in the air, it's hasta la vista, Eclectic. Hello, big city.

Just thought I would let you all know.

Oh, and if you don't like it....

I don't care.

:)

Peace!

2 comments: